Old June 29th 05, 12:53 AM
Bill Daniels

"John G. Harte" wrote in message
link.net...
Our club is fortunate enough to have a winch, and a large number of ground
launch endorsed pilots.

We use a steel cable and encounter some kinking and twisting at the glider
end of the setup. Last weekend we installed a swivel in line before the

cg
hook and were initially pleased with the first several launches; however,
after several more, we encountered even more twisting and kinking, but,
alas, the kinking and twisting occurred in that portion of the cable that
was descending after release.

Has anyone had experience with swivel installations?

Input would be greatly appreciated.

jgh

My experience is that swivels just don't help that much. Stranded steel
will twist and kink and then break at the kinks no matter what you do. It's
just really mean stuff.

The best idea is to convert to Spectra/Dyneema. Since it is a hollow braid
it doesn't twist or kink. The bonus is that you get 15 - 20 % higher
launches. No one who is using it would ever go back to steel.

Bill Daniels