Old August 28th 04, 03:50 PM
Icebound

"onsitewelding" wrote in message
news:JQVXc.240806$gE.14496@pd7tw3no...
I was just wondering if any pilots on this newsgroup ever saw in person or
remember Canadas Avro Arrow that was built in the late 50's. My father

grew
up in the milton area and was getting or had his ppl at the time and he

told
me few stories about the plane.

It seems a shame that this project was cancelled before it was really even
able to prove itself, and to have all prototypes destroyed. I would have
loved to have seen a truly Canadian designed and built Fighter/Interceptor
flying in our airspace and/or to be able to visit a canadian aviation

museum
and see one.

I have heard that the arrow was so advanced for it's day that the F/A-18

is
the only modern jet fighter that is able to match many of the arrows
capabilities.

Do a google search on "Avro Arrow" and you will find out all about it...
even the conspiracy theories of how the USA were jealous of our innovative
superiority of that time, and coerced the Canadian government into
cancelling the project, and destroying the prototypes:

Only one example:
http://www.fact-index.com/a/av/avro_arrow.html

There was an effort recently to find and recover development models which
were launched over Lake Ontario, but it came to naught:

http://www.avroarrow.org/

--
*** A great civilization is not conquered from without until it
has destroyed itself from within. ***