Old May 20th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Jet fuel A-1 specific gravity

Tim Epstein wrote:
You might want to add in units after the percentages. Don't forgot about
what happened with the Gimli Glider...

wrote:
I didn't know there was a unit for Specific Gravity.

There isn't. It's a unitless ratio of the density of something divided by
the density of water.

And what's with the Gimli Glider? Haven't heard of it.

Google for "gimli glider" and I'm sure you'll find it. In a nutshell, an
airline flight crew got confused between metric and english units when
ordering fuel, took on less than they expected, and ran out of gas in
flight, and dead-sticked it to an abandoned military airfield in Gimli,
Manitoba.

Opinion varies on whether the flight crew were total idiots for committing
the unpardonable sin of running out of gas, or heros for managing to get
the plane on the ground with no injuries and only minor damage to the
aircraft. Personally, I fall into the first camp.