Old April 25th 20, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default What have we learned from all this?

On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 11:20:33 AM UTC-6, wrote:
It's a hoax people. https://www.market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=239066
If you are waiting for government permission to go back to living, good luck.

I don't see the hoax, but agree waiting on the govt to do something useful seems at best a matter of luck.

Sadly, that URL looked like it had links to data, but didn't seem to.

Looking up the CDC numbers for a typical flu season:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html
(For a bad year multiply by 1.5)

Deaths 40k
Hospital 500k
Medical visit 15M
Symptoms 30m
Asymptomatic Not tracked

40k is 122/million US folks

New York has already had 20k deaths, which is 1063/million

Even with counting uncertainties, 1063 looks like a bigger problem than 122?

The following seemed sort of strange if the medical doctor reporting was accurate.

A MD on TV was talking about having to label any death that involved Covid 19 as being THE cause of death. He thought it was absurd to do so. He stated that if a person died while having the flu, the cause of death was not reported, by him, as "Influenza" but as what actually killed the person, such as respiratory failure, cardiac arrest etc. So, if this is true, there is probably not going to be an accurate comparison between Influenza deaths and Covid 19 deaths. Seems though that underlining conditions should be reported in both cases.

Mike