Old November 8th 03, 11:23 AM
Cub Driver

I am trying to locate pictures that show the crankshaft arrangement(s), and how
they work for WWII style rotary engines. e.g., the Wasp series by P&W.

The Wasp was not a rotary engine, but a radial. I'm reasonably sure
that rotary engines were not used after 1918.

Rotary = cylinders and propeller spin around a fixed crankshaft.

Radial = fixed cylinders arranged around a spinning crankshaft which
in turn spins the prop. Typically there were 7 or 9 cylinders in each
bank, and by 1941 it was usual to have more than one bank.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put CUB in subject line)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com