Old August 13th 11, 02:28 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumflyer View Post
Hi everyone, I'm currently a sport pilot with no other licenses and used to fly gliders a little as a kid when I was stationed in England. I've been thinking of getting my glider rating but had a question about the commercial glider rating. The SSA states:

Commercial Pilots-Glider must be at least 18-years of age, pass a written FAA examination, hold a Private Pilot license with 25 hours of flight time in gliders and 100 glider flights as pilot-in-command, or a total of 200 hours of flight time in heavier-than-air aircraft including 20 glider flights as pilot-in-command, 3 hours or ten flights training in a glider, and five solo flights in a glider and pass a flight test.

Does that mean that one must have a medical? What confuses me is that everywhere else it says Private Pilot-Glider. Am I looking to much into this and they just say private pilot license as a catch all for the different add-ons? The way I've interpreted it is that you do not need a medical to fly as a commercial glider pilot, however sometimes you seem to need to read between the lines when it comes to the FAA. If someone could give me some insight that would be great...or a simple yes or no will suffice
Thanks!
-Matt
I did a commercial glider add on to a commercial power license and I have no medical. One is not required for any glider rating including instructor. We self certify that we are ready to fly.

Walt