Old January 12th 04, 07:39 PM
Tom Sixkiller

http://av-info.faa.gov/data/designee...du_jul2003.pdf

....for a bit on "technically advanced" and unfamiliar aircraft.

"Blaine" wrote in message
om...
An enlightening experience first of all. I figured since I had just
got the second 'I' on CFII, and since I have given plenty of regular
dual to Private students, I wouldn't have too much of a problem.

The guy I flew with is working on a phase of the WINGS program and
wanted several hours of hood time shooting approaches and what not. He
flies IFR regularly in his high-performance Piper and is a very
well-rounded and proficient pilot.

I wouldn't say I did terrible, but I was not happy with my
performance. At one point he asked for radar vectors. I was thinking
"oh great" haha... I told him I didn't make a good controller yet and
he just laughed and said that was alright. The radar-vectored course
reversal went ok I suppose, but there was some ambiguity when turning
PT inbound.

Several factors played into this flight. I was with a pilot I had
never flown with before, I was in a plane I had never been in before,
and he had a new Garmin 430 that he was trying to figure out better. I
only have experience on King GPS, so I was not use to the difference.
Nice piece of equipment though. Most of my problem came with my lack
of real IFR experience. Which to say, is some what frustrating. At
what point, does all this start to come together? What helped you hone
your CFII skills? Is this just something that only getting out there
and flying will help? Of course I know the rules and the theory and
all that jazz, but staying ahead of a good IFR pilot is gonna take
some more work. I do look forward to the challenege however, and it
was great fun flying with the guy.