Old October 13th 15, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

My reply wasn't directed at you, Flub, but at the response that implied
that my method/comfort level is "dangerous". Looking at Sugarbush on
google maps (that's where you fly, isn't it?), I see some decent looking
agricultural fields as fall backs if you get low. I also see not too
many options if the pattern gets crowded and, at your location, I'd be
much more inclined to land if I got down to my comfort level than to try
a low save. Regarding the old guy hanging out on the ridge, local
knowledge and experience plays an important role in low flying.

Take a look at Moriarty, NM
,2799m/data=%213m1%211e3%214m2%213m1%211s0x8718cfb021a7a5 3d:0xa23675822a0f93a3
and you'll get an idea of why I'm comfortable with a low save here.
Look at all the landing options.

Dan

On 10/12/2015 6:21 PM, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 11:06:31 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
So, do you call all of this thought and planning and situational
awareness bad practice? It seems to me that less experienced pilots
would be better served by seeing what is possible in unusual
situations rather than being hobbled by one simple rule for every
situation.

The point that I was trying to make in my original post is that pilots who make their first 100 or so launches with a winch, gain experience with low level flying and develop instincts to do it relatively safely (the record suggests). People like me who trained with 3000 foot tows and 'pattern tows' do not get low level 'climb out' experience and our instincts for low level flying are rather underdeveloped. There not much deliberation and weighing of options when releasing off a 'pattern tow' at the 'Initial Point'.

The fact that you feel so comfortable at low altitude suggests that you picked up the skills to do it at some point in your extensive flying career.

My SOP of committing to landing at 1000-1300 AGL means that I don't have to rely on instincts that I don't have. Sure it would be better if I was more comfortable with doing lower 'saves'. Maybe that will come in time. I get a fair bit of practice scraping for lift at fairly low AGL over local ridges, but I have the option of skipping out over the valley and entering the pattern at 1000 AGL. It's all relative. I've seen one of the local old timers, circling extremely low above the saddle on the ridge... but he is like 85... and he has a wife on standby for his notoriously frequent retrieves.

--
Dan, 5J