Old October 4th 03, 08:58 AM
Slingsby

"W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\)." wrote in message ...
I have always understood that the first composite gliders were well
over-engineered, because the manufacturers were dealing with a new
technology and did not want any risk of failure. I have not heard of any
problems with old glass gliders due simply to age or high hours.

As designers and manufacturers have gained experience I imagine they have
been able to design and build to the limits rather than way past them, so
gaining performance and reducing cost. There are a number of cases where
older designs have had the limitations increased without any modification to
the airframe.

Until recently I thought of the Grob 103 as an over-engineered glider,
especially the fuselage and tail. It is quite heavy and I don't have
first hand knowledge of any with broken tail booms. I do know of
several which have been ground-looped without structural damage.