Old June 11th 04, 02:08 AM
BTIZ

standard rate turns for most light general aviation is about 15 degrees of
bank... up to 30 degrees is considered the norm for power aircraft..

gliders fly closer in and tighter patterns.. so 45 degrees makes more
since.. can't say I've paid much attention to estimate the bank angle...
granted I fly the tow plane (Pawnee) in the same ground track pattern and
use 45 degrees of bank..

BT

"Jim Vincent" wrote in message
In power, they're taught to fly patterns with very little bank angle,

whereas
in gliders we're taught to bank at about 45 degrees or so. I well

understand
the rationale for banking steeply in gliders, but why are power pilots

taught
to do shallow turns?

TIA for the explanation.

Jim Vincent