Old June 11th 04, 06:18 PM
Andy Durbin

illspam (Jim Vincent) wrote in message ...
The reason is, actually, pretty simple: power planes have god-awfull
visibility; if you bank too steeply you lose visual contact with a key
part of the pattern.

Tom, that makes sense to me for a high wing plane, but not for a low wing
plane. My friend had been taught never to bank too much in the pattern because
of the stall risk, I think. Yet us glider guiders are taught exactly the
opposite. Maybe since we fly the pattern so much closer to stall speed?

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam

I never bank *too much* in airplanes. In the pattern I use at least 30
deg, more for a high wing with a green house because that gives a good
view into the turn.

The view into the turn varies greatly for high wing airplanes. In a
182 leaning forward gives tolerable vizibility. In an Aeronca Chief
you can't see into the turn at all. That's why competent pilots will
raise the wing before starting the turn.

I don't think I flew any power plane with the view into the turn as
bad as from the 2-33 back seat!

I don't believe visibility is the reason some airplane pilots use
shallow banks in the pattern. I'm also not convinced that gliders fly
closer to stall speed in the pattern. I think it's just that some
airplane pilots were taught by instructors that didn't know any
better.

Andy