Old November 2nd 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

Default Source of large diameter thick wall tube

Well, it would be kinda short at 6" long. In cannon terminology, that would
be a 6-1. (The first number is the bore in inches and the second is the
barrel length in multiples of the bore.)

As I mentioned in a post a couple of years ago, a 30 foot length of 5" drill
pipe capped on one end and filled with a mix of oxygen and acetylene then
set off with a spark will do a reasonable imitation of a Naval 5-38. I know
that because a bunch of very bored roughnecks showed me. ( I also remember
what REAL Navy 5-38's sound like.)

I really don't need much thick wall tube.

Bill Daniels

"John Ammeter" wrote in message
news:7dOdnYkgrsq2odTYnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d@cablespeedwa .com...
Ya know, I was thinking that the tubing he was describing would make a
really good cannon myself...

John

Rich S. wrote:
"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message
. ..

This request isn't exactly for an airplane but it's for a glider winch.

I need to find a source for small amounts of 6.5" OD 1" wall steel tube.
I don't care too much about the alloy as long as it's reasonably strong
and both machinable and weldable.

Try Floyd Equipment
2208 Pacific Highway E.
Fife, WA
253.922.0200

That's where I get the tube for my cannon barrels.

Rich S.