Old November 2nd 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
GeorgeB

Default Source of large diameter thick wall tube

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:49:46 -0700, "Bill Daniels"
bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote:

This request isn't exactly for an airplane but it's for a glider winch.

I need to find a source for small amounts of 6.5" OD 1" wall steel tube. I
don't care too much about the alloy as long as it's reasonably strong and
both machinable and weldable.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Daniels

Bill, when I worked in heavy industry, our shop would regularly order
"structural tubing" from our steel supplier. It might have taken a
week or 2, but we never had any problem getting just about any size we
wanted.

That said, have you given any thought to 6" XXS pipe which will be
6.625 OD with 0.864 wall? I don't know if your dimensions were
generic or specific (as in fitting bearings). IF the latter, that
pipe, with OD machined to the bearings at the ends, may work; I'm not
a good enough engineer to do the calculations.

Schedule 160 may be easier to find; wall is 0.718.

George