Old January 31st 11, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default ASW20 or LS6

On Jan 30, 6:10*pm, Tim wrote:
On Jan 30, 7:06*pm, binks wrote:

I am looking to purchase my first glider. I have been looking at the
ASW20 and the LS6. Any suggestions on which glider would be the best
all around? I have heard that the LS6 has a narrow cockpit. I am 6'2"
200 lbs. and would be wearing a parachute. Also heard that the ASW20
can be a little unforgiving to the uninitiated in the spin department.
Both seem to have very similar performance data. *All that being said
it is appearing to me it may be Ford vs Chevy

LS6 is the best handling ship I've ever flown. I got in one in the
Southern French Alps and flew in the first World Grand Prix with zero
hours in type and felt like I could do anything I needed with the
ship. Given the random and weak weather, I had to do some pretty
marginal things and it Never bit me :-) Unfortunately, "Z27" met a sad
fate a few years later in the French Alps. :-(

Tim McAllister EY

I think the spin reputation of the ASW-20 is a bit undeserved. Mine
behaved perfectly predictably once I got the CG forward of the aft
limit where the previous owner had left it! The LS-6 does have a
narrower cockpit, but this should only be a problem if you have really
broad shoulders. I suggest you try both before deciding. There isn't
much difference in performance between the two.

Mike