Old January 31st 11, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default ASW20 or LS6

I've flown the standard class version of both those gliders, ie, the
ASW-19 and the LS-8. I'm 5'11" and 200 lbs, wear a parachute, and am
long in the torso.

Regarding the LS6, you probably won't fit in if you use a chair type
parachute, but a backpack type will work fine. If your torso is
average length, your height shouldn't be a problem - but if you have a
long torso you might not have enough head room. Your upper arms are
what is going to hit the sides of the canopy rail - if you have thick,
muscular arms you might not fit, but if you're average it'll be fine.

Don't make the mistake of making the trailer type and condition
subservient to the plane. A good trailer makes assembly and retrieves
a joy, a bad one could make you fly less often and forgo doing XC.
Condition of the gel coat and the instrument package is also a
consideration.

Personally, after experiencing the handling and feel of the LS8 I
wouldn't give it up to buy another Schleicher. Don't get me wrong,
Schleicher builds a fine glider - but it just doesn't compare to the
way the Rolladen Schneider flies.

-John

binks wrote:
I am looking to purchase my first glider. I have been looking at the
ASW20 and the LS6. Any suggestions on which glider would be the best
all around? I have heard that the LS6 has a narrow cockpit. I am 6'2"
200 lbs. and would be wearing a parachute. Also heard that the ASW20
can be a little unforgiving to the uninitiated in the spin department.
Both seem to have very similar performance data. All that being said
it is appearing to me it may be Ford vs Chevy