Old February 9th 12, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Default New Butterfly Vario

On Feb 9, 3:28*pm, Cliff Hilty
wrote:
John and All, Just for a moment put all the other rule-software-hardware
changes aside, how do you think contest pilots would react to the CD
setting a Max flying height for the day! Just say the weather man forcasts
cloudbase to be 10K msl for the day and the CD announces max flying height
of 9.5k and all logs for that day are checked for max height just as they
are now for 17.5k. Now no advantage to cloud flying, no need to worry about
what instruments we have or don't have.

Sure that weather man may not have it right but we still have a max height
limit regardless. If his estimate is low and cloud base is 2k higher it is
still fair as no one can go higher. If he is too high and cloudbase is
lower we are right where we are now but with todays forcasting abilities he
would not be off that far and it is movable right up until the start gate
opens.

Just sayin---

CH Ventus B

"If we are all "just dust in the wind", then I want to be at the top of a Huge Dust Devil!"

Not practical in the East, for sure. As well, it doesn't necessarily
solve the problem.

-Evan Ludeman / T8