Old May 2nd 21, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

On Saturday, 1 May 2021 at 17:40:19 UTC+1, Francois HERSEN wrote:

I flew more than 15 years with my ASH25, pure glider. Since few years ,I fly with my brand new ASH30 Mi. I may take off when I want, without waiting a two plane.
But, with the ASH30 I always need to may reach an airflied to start the engine in flight, with the 25 an outlanding place was sufficient.
Longest flight time, but more detours, so my average cross country distance is the same with the 30 than with the 25, with the same safety margins.
RC

Congratulations on your lovely ASH30 Mi. But why are you not happy to start your engine in flight over an outlanding place? I am happy to start my engine in flight anywhere think I could land safely if the engine doesn't start and the prop is still out.

Incidentally, yesterday I made my lowest start yet. I reached a safe airfield at a good height but I thought there was still a chance of finding a thermal and I was confident that if the engine didn't start I could land safely on the airfield. I was down to about 600 feet before I started the engine.. I do not think it was imprudent. My normal start height is 1,000 feet over the ground.

In 14 years of flying with an engine I have had one failure to start - on downwind to land in a good field, in which I then landed safely.