Old October 4th 05, 03:06 AM

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 21:00:20 -0400, "John Doe"
wrote:

snip
Again, not sure exactly what you are looking for. I've allegedly
maintained a crapload of turbocharged Lycomings for tens of thousands
of hours of operation, but my crystal ball's busted. Have seen S1AD's
go 1400-1600 hours without "cylinder" issues, have seen them with 400
hours that needed the cylinders thrown in a dumpster. It depends on
both the actual overhaul and the shivering mass of tissue between the
seat back and the yoke...

TC

Thanks TC,

Besides an oil analysis and compression check, what else should I be asking
the A&P to look for during a pre-buy to make sure I'm not buying a trashed
engine?

Cut the oil filter, inspect the suction screen. Look at previous
oil/filter change intervals. If it's had another recent pre-buy doing
all this, you aren't going to see much. If the filter's been changed
"early" (like immediately after you got off the phone setting up the
pre-buy) it's entirely possible somebody's trying to hide something.

All the questions I listed earlier are pertinent. You DO NOT want a
no-name field overhaul with minimal documentation, you DO NOT want
chrome cylinders, you DO NOT want high-time exhaust components, you DO
NOT want an engine that has been sitting for extended periods of time
without being preserved.

I seriously doubt the seller is going to tell me he's trashed the engine
running at peak temps.

Play dumb and interested. At a minimum, ask about %power at
cruise/fuel flow/ITT-after all, you want to keep operating it the same
way it's been operated ; ) Ask him/her to take you for an extended
test hop to "see how it flies". Pay close attention to his/her
climb/cruise profile & power settings and the indicated temps. Ask
about performance and altitude & have him/her show you. Check the oil
consumption after 30 minutes in cruise, minimum. Paying for a little
fuel can net you a lot of information.

TC