Old June 27th 04, 02:40 PM
Bill Daniels

I bought some expensive paper based polishing towels from a plastics
company. They were touted as the 'perfect' acrylic cleaning rag.
Unfortunately, they scratched a test piece of plexy just like any paper
towel. The common advice to use only soft cloth rags seems to be well
founded.

I have polished out scratched canopies and to do it right is a LOT of work.
Best to never get them scratched in the first place.

There are some good scratch removing polishing compounds available but I
always wind up with McGuire's #10 as the final wax. #10 takes a lot of work
to do it right but the wax is exactly the same refractive index as Plexiglas
so the remaining scratches disappear. There is a story going around that
#10 leaves the canopy statically charged which attracts dust. I've never
seen this if the polish job is done according to the label instructions.

Bill Daniels

"Nolaminar" wrote in message
I was told by Kimberly Clark that common paper towels are NOT good for

cleaning
polycarbonate or acrylic glass. This would also apply to using tissues on

eye
glasses.
Old style diapers are good for canopy cleaning.
GA
N39KK