Old September 30th 20, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default Grob Twin Astir getting "stuck" in a slip

Kenn,

still puzzled about that. If you start deflecting the rudder to the right, the relativ wind for the fin is coming from the right, and the fin produces lift to the left.
If you end up this maneuvre with the fin stalled from relativ wind to the left, at some point the lift vector would have to change from the left to zero and than to the right before braking down upon stall. That should be something quizzy to feel - I'm doing banked slips on a regular basis with progressive slip angles (up to full controls deflections where I would guess the slipangle is something like 30 deg) and I have never experienced the "inversion".
Having said that, and imaging that the rudder is actually stalled, I strongly doubt that adverse yaw alone would stabilize the slip (plus, the stalled rudder still produces considerable drag which would pull the nose to the left). What does help stabilizing the slip is the additional drag of the forward fuselage section due to the slip angle - especially in the case of two-seaters.

Le mardi 29 septembre 2020 Ã* 20:48:16 UTC+2, Kenn Sebesta a écritÂ*:
On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 2:42:27 AM UTC-4, Tango Whisky wrote:
Kenn,

if the fin sees the relative wind from the left, care to explain how it produces lift to the left?

In the scenario we're describing the rudder ceases to develop lift, as it is stalled quite deeply. So in short, the explanation is that it doesn't produce lift to the left.

The purpose of dihedral is to couple bank and turn, so with a left bank we would expect a left turn to develop after a few seconds of uncoordinated flight. Since this left turn doesn't happen, it means we must have some kind of right yaw. When experiencing thee deeply stalled rudder, I suspect the balancing yaw moment is driven by the adverse yaw from the ailerons.

In short, we might think of rudder lock ia what happens when, for whatever reason, a slip's beta angle of attack causes the rudder to stall, resulting in the rudder being pushed to the leeward side. During the slip heading is maintained by adverse yaw. The banked slip will not end on its own without opposite rudder force.

Of course, this is first-principles speculation and so we can't know anything of sure without better references, either empirical or simulation results.