Old September 30th 20, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Grob Twin Astir getting

Another tip is to try and fly it as much as possible using the rudder,

like
a RC, your legs are stronger than your arms and the roll can get stick

at
higher speeds.
I liked that plane, alot, I was sad to see it go.
Nick

Nick,

Flying gliders, I tend to lead my turns with rudder and then
follow with aileron input anyway, but like you, I find this
technique to be especially effective in a Twin Astir. It is something
my father taught me when I was just starting out. He pretty much
stressed keeping aileron inputs to a minimum to avoid destroying
lift over a large part of the span, thus obtaining a better climb
result. Also keeping the stick quiet - no stirring like churning butter.
Maybe that's part of why I had fellow competitors at WGC's coming
up to me and asking how I was able to climb up through entire
gaggles on course.

RO