Old February 23rd 05, 06:11 PM
Harry Andreas

In article , "John Carrier"
wrote:

My ignorance abounds! I can well imagine how the base was established, but
I find it interesting it's maintained its support roles for so many years in
a leaner/meaner environment.

R / John

It's the main contracting and contract oversight for Space Command.
Lots of satellite and missile program offices located there.
Very handy to have Lockheed, Raytheon, Northrop-Grumman (ex-TRW)
Boeing (also ex-Hughes Space) all within a stone's throw (literally!)
The Colorado congressional delegation has been trying for years to
close it down, but the synergy between the base and the local
contractors is too real.

"Dave in San Diego" wrote in message

It's all right he

http://www.losangeles.af.mil/abg/homepageframe.htm

Funny thing is, the picture on the web site is Ft MacArthur in
San Pedro, which is housing for the base. The base itself is in
El Segundo, but is much less photogenic.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur