Old May 8th 12, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

Default Ka6E vs. Ka6CR

As well as better performance, the E has much better visibility from the
cockpit.

It came in two versions, long nose and short nose. I think most were long,
and if you are above average height you need that. Even then it is a bit
snug unless you are not too overweight.

The E is a delightful glider to fly. It might no longer be competitive, but
you can have a wonderful time with it.

The BR or CR are nice too (though also snug), and a lot better than
nothing, but IMHO it is worth going the extra mile to get an E, if you can
fit into it and can find an E.

It is also well worth while getting the cushions sorted out so you are
comfortable. My longest flight in an E was 10 ¾ hours and I was not at all
uncomfortable. But it was the result of a lot of trial and error with
energy absorbing cushions to get there.

In his book “Derek Piggott on Gliding”, DP wrote: “Although the K6E
looks rather similar to the earlier K6ir has many improvements. A general
cleaning up of the fuselage, nose and wing root and a far better aerofoil
together with an all-moving stabiliser give it a super performance. .. . .
If you can sit comfortably in the rather small cockpit this is the ideal
glider for your first few years of soaring. . . . I still envy the K6E
owners.”

I only sold mine and went for a modern glider because it needed a major
refurbishment after a rainstorm opened up the trailing edges of the wings
and it was uneconomic to pay for repairs.

Chris N