Old February 9th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cell phone as flight recorder

wrote:
AOPA is working on this issue. Specifically on using cell phones or PCS
in general aviation aircraft while airborne. What is interesting with
cell phones is, that they can be used in variety of ways on tracking,
locating, etc. If you remember an accident that one of our F-117's was
shot down over former Yugoslavia during the Balkan war.....they plotted
its position using cell phones and the cell phone towers and the rest
was just history. Ground to air missile accepted the coordinates from
the PCS network and found its target. Pilot safely bailed out though.

Yeah, I ain't buying that one. First off, there's no way a radar guided
missile could be easily reconfigured to simply go based on PCS network
location. Second, in the Balkans they'd probably be using GSM, whereas we
mainly use PCS. Even if the pilot had a GSM, the GSM frequencies in the
US and Europe are different so a US GSM phone won't work in Europe, nor be
detectable. Besides, that sort of tracking is *NOT* accurate or fast
enough to guide a missile even if its available. The most likely scenario
is the pilot screwed up and left his bay door opens which drastically
increases his radar echo and the missile was able to lock on to his radar
signature. They carry their weapons internally for a reason on that
aircraft.

Also, this doesn't address what Marc and I said. I believe that the FAA
regs are very specific and talk about cellular radiotelephone service.
PCS is not cellular. Show me an FAA reg prohibitting the use of PCS in
flight.

dan