Old July 2nd 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Ash

Default Things to remember in very hot weather

In rec.aviation.student Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

So you haven't been here on the Canadian Prairies in winter, either.
Every winter someone will get a vehicle stuck on a country road and
try to walk a mile or two for help, in a 20-knot wind at -20C. They
don't make it.

The hot weather equivalent of -20? C is 60? C, and nobody makes it in that,
either. You can dress to protect yourself against -20? C, but nothing you
might wear can protect you against 60? C.

This is completely ridiculous. I assume you just took 20C as an average,
then added and subtracted. You can't do that! 60C is higher than the
hottest recorded temperature on the planet. -20C is routine and common in
a great many inhabited locations. They're absolutely not equivalent.

In very cold water, near freezing, an unprotected human
is unconscious in under 20 minutes and dead shortly after that, if he
doesn't drown first.

But that's just it: You can protect yourself in cold weather. In hot
weather, you can't.

Of course you can. You can wear light clothes, carry shade, and drink lots
of water.

It never ceases to amuse me just how far you will sink for the sake of
argument. You're a smart guy, I know you are from your posting history.
Yet the things you say are completely ridiculous and nonsensical so much
of the time. There has to be some little voice inside you saying "This
makes no sense! You can't say that -20C is equivalent to 60C!" Such a
position does not survive a moment's critical thinking. And yet you will
apparently make a thousand such assertions before you will ever once say,
"You're right, I made a mistake."

Well, if you can't be reasonable or wise, at least you can be hilarious.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth