Old May 20th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Jet fuel A-1 specific gravity

Roy Smith wrote:

And what's with the Gimli Glider? Haven't heard of it.

Google for "gimli glider" and I'm sure you'll find it. In a nutshell, an airline flight crew got
confused between metric and english units when ordering fuel, took on less than they
expected, and ran out of gas in flight, and dead-sticked it to an abandoned military airfield in Gimli, Manitoba.

Reminds me of a goof-up on one of our contracting jobs where the Lead
Estimator procured his rates per square foot and inserted the same
numerics per square meter. Our company got massively shafted on that
job :\

Can't believe the Gimli incident escaped first the Flight Dispatcher
and then two pilots. Yikes!

Ramapriya