Old September 5th 16, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default ASW 19 tail wheel

The wheel you describe is designed to separate from the rubber mount, or
the entire rubber mount to rip off, to save you breaking the tail boom.
The rubber mount is held on with contact cement. And why in the world
would you push the tail sideways anyway? If you want to maneuver your
ship on the ground as you described, put the tail dolly on. A steel
skid will be great for grass or dirt, but will provide no directional
stability on pavement.

My old LS-6a had a hard plastic wheel mounted as you describe and it was
awful both from a noise and traction standpoint. I changed it to a
roller blade and was delighted.

On 9/4/2016 8:35 PM, wrote:
I have now destroyed two of those silly rubber tail skid/wheel things on my ASW-19. It's a black rubber skid shaped device that has a roller blade wheel molded into it. It looks cool. But if you push it sideways too many times the wheel gets ripped out of the skid. Or if you fly out of a grass field frequently, eventually a rut or a bump will rip the wheel out of the skid. In the long term, I'll probably install larger tail wheel mod. But I, also thinking sticking a skid (without a wheel) on there. Has anybody tried this? And if so, where did you get the skid?

--
Dan, 5J