Old September 15th 20, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cumungus

Default FES underpowered for 18m ship?

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 11:11:26 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
John, for the Carson relight you are correct if one waits until pattern altitude at Carson. However the strategy should be to relight over spooner the moment you down to your minimum altitude, say 9K. You will need a short run and only 1-2K climb to get to a safe final glide altitude. If you run out of battery before hand you can escape back to Carson.
At least this is what I would do if I have FES.

Ramy

Hi Ramy. Is this what happened last month when you had an FES failure and landed on the golf course in incline?

Something like:
- flies over east lake tahoe
- "getting low, here we go!"
- goes to turn the FES knob
- "dang, did I really leave my FES at the factory?"
- wing meets bush

Just wondering since I can't think of any other plausible explanation to why someone would go where you went at the altitude you were at without some engine or a will to die.