Old June 3rd 05, 05:40 AM
George Patterson

Michael 182 wrote:
I'm kind of curious - does anyone with more than 100 hours do a flight plan,
with winds and all, before they fly cross country?

I plan each flight on my computer. I tend to navigate by LORAN. Given that I'm
in an area with perhaps more areas of protected airspace than any other in the
States, my plans tend to have a fair number of waypoints at this end of the
flight. This is especially true if I'm headed towards the DC ADIZ. I tend to
swag the winds because, by the time I can get a decent forecast from the FAA,
it's usually too late to crank up the computer and add them to the plan -- I'm
heading out the door.

Of course, if I've made a particular flight before, I already have it planned.
All I have to do is bring it up and check it with a current chart to make sure
there's nothing new in my way.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.