Old October 6th 03, 03:23 PM
Craig Prouse

"James M. Knox" wrote:

Now admittedly, this was the FSS for Midland, but next he was probably
going to tell me that DFW doesn't exist.

The 4F2 airport is in the area served by Ft. Worth FSS. I assume that you
dialed 1-800-WX-BRIEF on your cell phone and were connected to San Angelo
FSS because that's close to where your cell phone is registered.

That doesn't work very well. If you use a cell phone and you're outside of
your home area, you need the A/FD for your current location to look up the
discrete 866 number to ensure that you connect to the right FSS. The
generic WX-BRIEF number is only good from a landline and sometimes not then.
I've been erroneously connected the Hawthorne FSS from a pay phone at an
airport served by Riverside FSS.