Old July 26th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Default Quiet Vent

Hartley,

Yes, that's what it's for.

The standard Mecaplex sliding window usually has a small rectangular
flip-out window. When open, this window sticks out into the air stream, but
it's noisy.

Much of the noise is caused my air turbulence, as some of the incoming air
strikes the back of the vent opening, the small mounting block for the vent
hinge, and finally the handle for the vent.

The QV kit eliminates most of these obstructions by attaching to the inside
face of the vent handle, then continuing forward to seal against the inside
surface of the vent, thus providing a smooth and rounded surface for the air
flow.

It's a simple device and certainly possible for others to copy and make
their own. That's part of the reason I've priced it so low - - so they'll
think, "Why bother, I'll just order one". Besides, I've done lots of testing
and worked out the bugs. Just ask any of the people who purchased the first
version only to have it vibrate like an oboe reed or come off during
super-cold wave flight!

Just for info, I know there is or was a company that manufactures a complete
replacement for the flip-out vent that is supposed to address the noise
issue. I've not tried their product. I googled, but could not locate
them - - as I recall, they are located in CA. So at least the idea of making
this vent quieter is not new.

all the best,

bumper
"HL Falbaum" wrote in message
. ..
Bumper-
Is this a vent quieter for the side window ?--
Posts suggest that to be the case. If so, I will mail you an order for
one.
Hartley Falbaum
"KF" USA

"bumper" wrote in message
Ed,

The Quiet Vent kit is relatively new and has not been marketed
commercially. It's only been mentioned on this newsgroup and on the
Stemme and ASH26E groups. I've also sold a few of the first version of QV
at Minden where I'm based. That said, there are enough of the first QV
version in use that you may get a testimonial in response - - maybe.
Please note that the first version was not robust in use and could fail
at sub-zero temperatures. The seal, if not installed exactly right, could
vibrate like the reed in an obo! I'm replacing these at no charge.

The QV is completely clear when installed, so good pictures may be
difficult. If you email me privately, I'll send you a picture that has
the QV colored with a felt tip marker so it shows up well - - I did this
for the instruction sheet.

'Course you could always take a chance and order one, only $5 - -
cheerfully refunded if you're not satisfied.
--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

"flying_monkey" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody got a picture of this device? Any testimonials on how well it
works?

Thanks,
Ed