Old June 25th 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

Default 1946 Piper PA-12 Super Cruiser Fuel Tank's

"Phil" wrote in message
Hello
I am a welder by trade , used to work as a certified A/C welder for
major company , still do Alum . and 4130 A/C welding , a man brought a
wing tank to me from his Piper PA- 12 Super Cruiser today , he has a small
leak around one of the fittings , the tank has been soldered together , he
says it's Alum. but I am not convinced , the sheet metal is very thin and
is non magnetic , I scraped some of the solder material and it was soft
like lead , the man called an older fellow A/C restorer and he thinks it's
Alum , all the fuel tanks that I have worked on were made from 5052 of
whatever Alum.and TIG welded , 1946 may pre date the Heli-Arc process ,
wonder if someone can shed some light on this wing tank question.
Thanks
Phil
EAA 12873

Being no expert, I believe what you have is made from "Ternplate". That's as
far as my poor memory will take me. Perhaps a search for that name will
help, as there are many references available..

Rich S.