Old August 10th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Clarke sandblaster gun - moisture?

On Aug 10, 5:56 am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

I spent weeks and weeks and weeks bead blasting my Auster Fuselage.
most of the time is spent waiting for the compresser(s) to pump up.
3 compressers Tee'd together work almost manageably to give near
continuous air.

One way to tell a good Chapter from the other kind is that they're
always involved in projects developing equipment that would be too
expensive for an individual to managed on his own, such as pigs of
lead accurately marked as to their weight, or the scales and stands
needed to do your W&B. A portable compressor capable of driving at
least one sand-blasting gun is another example, especially when folks
find out they can have the thing virtually for free.

Herez How:

You start with an old VW engine, and I'm talking basket-case. Patch
it up so that cylinders 1 & 3 will run. Remove the rockers for
cylinders 2 & 4. Put a wipe of Permatex on the intake valves for 2 &
4 and install the stock spring & keeper. On the exhaust valves for 2
& 4 you want a very light spring, somehting having only a few OUNCES
of compression.

The exhaust ports for cylinders 2 & 4 become your air INLETS. The
sparking plug hole for those jugs becomes you OUTLETS (and are fitted
wtih a check-valve, which you can make from an old spark plug and a
ball-bearing.)

Back in the days of the Model T this arrangement was the most common
means of providing compressed air for jack-hammers and the like.

a good timesaver is to cover the faceplate with some thin transparent
plastic.

Here in the States we use plastic wrap (brand name: Saran Wrap, et
al). You put four or five layers on the face-plate with one edge
aliigned, the other overlapping by aboout an inch. As it fogs up, you
simply peel off the top layer, keep on working.

be sure to wear breathing protection.

Roger that! Media-blasting has to be the worst job in the world.

-R.S.Hoover