Old October 15th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default [Fwd: Fantastic Falcon Flick]

Speeds of "over 200mph" have been recorded, but I don't know about
280mph...

However, there are fascinating ramifications of going that fast.
Here's a tidibt I never thought about before (thank you Wikipedia):

-----
The air pressure from a 200 mph (320 km/h) dive could possibly damage
a bird's lungs, but small bony tubercles in a falcon's nostrils guide
the shock waves of the air entering the nostrils (compare intake ramps
and inlet cones of jet engines), enabling the bird to breathe more
easily while diving by reducing the change in air pressure
-----

....How cool is that?

--Noel