Old October 23rd 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_3_]

Default Grob 103 Twin II Brake Master Cylinder

At 13:00 23 October 2008, Jim Beckman wrote:

This thread started with the necessity of replacing the brake master
cylinder, right? Did anyone mention why it needed replacement? My

first
guess is wear or corrosion in the cylinder bore causing it to leak
pressure. If this is the case, there are places that will bore the
cylinder and sleeve it with either stainless steel or brass. It's done
all the time for old cars.

On the other hand, I don't know anything about the legality of doing

that
for an aircraft brake system. And on the Gripping Hand, I would

probably
do it that way myself.

Jim Beckman

Old cars normally have steel brake cyliders, the BMW part we are talking
about is aluminium. Putting a steel or brass sleeve in will almost
certainly cause corrosion (disimilar metals).
A new part is available and is not expensive. All that needs to be done is
to swap over the lever.