Old February 13th 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

Default Basic question

wrote in message
As I have only ever flown Cessnas, I have a basic question. When
flying a stick plane like an RV-7. What hand do people fly with? On
a yoke I generally used 2 but if I had to use one to do something else
I would keep the left on the yoke. However, I don't know how
comfortable I would feel flying exclusively with the left hand on a
stick. I ask as I am playing on flight simulator and would prefer to
learn how it is actually done. If I have to learn to use the left
hand I will.

Thanks

Barry

Personally I fly with my right hand. However, flying with my left hand
isn't a problem when adjusting power setting, etc in a yoke configured
aircraft like a Cessna.

Military fighter/attack aircraft are configured to be flown with your right
hand on the stick and left hand operates throttles, speed brakes, gear, etc.
This configuration is also standard in most old tail draggers like Champs
and Cubs. Most sailplane controls also follow this configuration. Right
hand on the stick, left hand operates the gear, spoilers and flaps.

I have flown with military pilots who were left handed and noticed that they
easily adapted to using the right hand configuration. I don't see why
adapting to an aircraft configured with a left and stick should be a
problem. The most important thing is to develop a light touch on the stick.
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogaller.../17900_MSL.jpg
In the picture I am flying with my left hand while operating the camera with
my right. Not a problem except a bit too much pressure on right rudder
peddle. (On this Schreder HP-14 sailplane the flaps are operated with the
left hand and the gear with the right hand.)

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder