Old February 13th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default Basic question

In article
,
wrote:

As I have only ever flown Cessnas, I have a basic question. When
flying a stick plane like an RV-7. What hand do people fly with? On
a yoke I generally used 2 but if I had to use one to do something else
I would keep the left on the yoke. However, I don't know how
comfortable I would feel flying exclusively with the left hand on a
stick. I ask as I am playing on flight simulator and would prefer to
learn how it is actually done. If I have to learn to use the left
hand I will.

Thanks

Barry

Either hand works equally well. I have a 2-plc side-by-side and fly with
left hand on stick, right hand on throttle. Some of my friends fly their
SX-300s from the right seat.

The AF Academy had their TG-14 Ximango motor gliders set up with the PIC
in the right seat, so the stick and throttle configuration resembles
that of fighters.

The big things to remember when transitioning up to an RV-7 (moreso with
a Glasair) a

1. You fly them with your fingertips/toe tips, by pressure, not control
movement

2. You have to plan much further ahead of the plane, as things go by
three times as fast.

3. You will realize that the Cessnas/Pipers, Beeches handle like trucks,
compared to your homebuilt.