Old May 25th 12, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Compare/Contrast: CG hook on aerotow vs. CG hook on winch

On May 24, 8:54*pm, son_of_flubber wrote:
I've been told (and witnessed) that aerotow on CG hook is initially difficult for someone who has trained for aerotow with a "nose hook" (aka hook-forward-of-CG). *Suppose this CG-hook-newbie were to take winch tow training (with CG hook). *Would the winch training reduce the initial difficulty of a CG hook aerotow?

Do the difficulties/danger of aerotow with CG hook go away completely with training and experience?

What sorts of misadventures are reasonably attributed to aerotow on CG hook?

I understand why CG hook is superior for winch tow. *No need to rehash that explanation.

Most glass two seat trainers (Grob, ASK-21, etc.) have both nose and
CG hooks so you can arrange to get some flight instruction in one aero
towing with the CG hook. Some countries prohibit aero tow with CG
hooks or require special training to do so. I can't say that 100% of
the dangers go away with training and experience but very nearly so.

I think winch training will improve any pilot - sometimes
substantially and not just with a CG hook.

For pilots trained on aero tow, the main danger with a CG hook is a
ground loop on the takeoff roll - a nose hook tends to keep the glider
rolling straight if a wing drops but the effect is small. If seen
many if not more ground loops with nose hooks.

A glider aero towing with a CG hook can easily climb above the tug
creating a very dangerous situation for the tug pilot but these upsets
happened primarily to pilots who had mostly winch experience and
little aero tow experience. It's as easy to stay in position behind
the tug but you have to be aware of the need to do so - you have to
really fly formation on the tug. The rope will not pull you back into
position.