Old May 25th 12, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Compare/Contrast: CG hook on aerotow vs. CG hook on winch

On May 24, 7:54*pm, son_of_flubber wrote:

Do the difficulties/danger of aerotow with CG hook go away completely with training and experience?

What sorts of misadventures are reasonably attributed to aerotow on CG hook?

It all depends on the glider. There is no generic answer.

To put my reply in context I have 456 aero tow launches with CG hook
in ASW19b and 243 aero tow launches with CG hook in ASW 28.

Neither glider has any issue at all with pitch stability or
directional control while in flight. The ASW 28 has no issues at all
with directional control on the the ground. However, the ASW 19b with
its small tail wheel could be tricky in moderate to strong cross winds
at the start of the takeoff roll. I have no way of knowing how much
better it would have been with a nose hook. With proper positioning
of the glider and with proper pilot technique I was able to make
takeoffs in any wind condition other gliders or pilots could handle.

Unless you are planning to fly a vintage glider that is prone to
kiting, and if you are competent at aerotow with a nose hook, the only
issues you are likely to experience with a CG hook a

1. Risk of rope over-run and back release if the tug takes up slack
quickly. That's easily avoided by using the wheel brake.

2. Inadequate directional control at start of takeoff roll with cross
winds. This can be reduced by positioning the glider to compensate or
by using a wing runner who understands the problem and helps to keep
you straight.

The other side of the coin is that, as a tow pilot, I have been
subjected to moderate to severe abuse by pilots learning to fly the
Std Cirrus. As I said it depends on glider type and pilot skill
level.

A final data point - My ASW 28 has both a forward belly hook and a CG
hook. I choose to always use the CG hook for aerotow.

Andy (GY)