Old February 13th 18, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Minimum number of flights for winch sign off?

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 9:53:27 AM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
What would be the consensus for the minimum number of flights to get a ground launch sign off for an experienced glider pilot?

Having done 'add-on' winch training at two very different locations... I'd say YMMV. There are a lot of site specific and pilot specific variables. Winch, winch driver, crosswind and rotor, field length and width, glider type, etc.. For me, soloing at site 1 was relevant, but not sufficient to solo at site 2. Proficiency faded quickly without the opportunity to winch at my home club. When I eventually visit another winch launch site, I'll repeat the entire training program from square one. The concept of a 'portable winch launch endorsement' is dubious.

Besides 'simulated rope breaks', we did 'simulated, surprise, and gradual loss of power' at one site and not at the other. Very useful scenario.

https://members.gliding.co.uk/bga-sa...safe-winching/

I'd strongly recommend winch training to any pilot. There is a strongly positive residual effect that carries over to other flying skills even if you don't have the opportunity to regularly winch at home. Winching sharpens your reflexes, perception of fast changing situations, and mental focus during launch. I was much more on top of aerotowing after doing winch launch training. Aerotowing seems to go in slow motion after you do winch launching.