Old February 13th 18, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Minimum number of flights for winch sign off?

And to respond to another post about portability of training, that has
got to be related to experience, quality of training, attitude, and
aptitude.

Following initial qualification in Australia, my next experience was in
Colorado when our club acquired a winch.Â* We started off slowly and, as
experience increased, we broadened our use of the winch, using it for
the Women's Soaring Seminar in 1993, IIRC, when we took the winch to an
airport in the mountains (Silverwest, C08).Â* IIRC, at the time the
runway was still dirt, it's since been paved.

Later we took the winch high into Southpark (yes, it's really a place),
where we performed launches at 10,000' MSL.Â* The winch was great fun in
the winter months (when clear of snow) when there wasn't any lift.Â* We'd
simply fly multiple patterns and landings. Eventually the winch fell out
of favor and was put aside, though I hear it's coming back into use.

Other ground launch experience has been a couple of soaring safaris
whereby my then-partner and I took a 1,000' rope and ground launches to
fly straight out to the next destination which was chosen based upon the
current weather.Â* The driver/launcher would take the trailer and follow
along to the next landing spot where we'd spend the night and switch off
the following day.

And finally, there was the Ground Launch Weekend put on by the Las Vegas
Valley Soaring Association at Roach Dry Lake south of Las Vegas, usually
twice per year in April and October.Â* There they use a truck and an
1,800' rope for launching.Â* It has been a great time and great parties
at night.Â* We've attended that gathering three times.

Ground launching is a lot more fun than aero tow and significantly less
expensive.Â* The real advantage to aero tow, IMO, is that the glider can
be taken to the lift.

On 2/13/2018 9:32 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Way back in 1987, while on business in Alice Springs, NT, Australia, I
visited the Bond Springs gliding club.Â* I flew a Twin Lark (VH-CQA)
off of a twin drum winch with about a mile of single strand wire for
launches.Â* A review of my logbook reveals 6 launches including 2 cable
breaks with an instructor and then I began giving rides to my
co-workers who wanted to see what a glider flight was about.

On 2/13/2018 7:53 AM, Waveguru wrote:
What would be the consensus for the minimum number of flights to get
a ground launch sign off for an experienced glider pilot? How many
cable breaks and at what altitude? Of course it would take more for
some and less for others, but I would think at least 15 launches with
5 cable breaks at various heights?

Boggs

--
Dan, 5J