Old February 13th 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Minimum number of flights for winch sign off?

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 5:53:27 PM UTC+3, Waveguru wrote:
What would be the consensus for the minimum number of flights to get a ground launch sign off for an experienced glider pilot? How many cable breaks and at what altitude? Of course it would take more for some and less for others, but I would think at least 15 launches with 5 cable breaks at various heights?

I suppose it is hard to generalise, but here is my (rather meagre) winching history.

Prior gliding experience: 64 hours and 118 flights in Blanik, Ka6 and Club Libelle, all aerotow.

1993-05-09: five winch launches in a Ka7

Another 45 hours (111 total) and 60 flights in Blanik, Ka6, ASK13, Club Libelle, Std Libelle, Janus all from aerotow.

1993-12-18: eight winch launches in Ka7, 1st solo
1993-12-19: one winch check flight and one solo in Ka7
1993-12-27: one winch check flight in Ka7, two soaring solos in Ka6

Aerotow flying, taking total time to 220 hours, 296 flights...

2004-01-04: two winch launches (both P2) in Janus, soaring

Aerotow flying, taking total time to 240 hours...

2005-01-05: one winch check flight in ASK13, five solo practice (day was not soarable)

Aerotow flying, taking total time to 400 hours, then a three year gap with no flying at all...

2018-01-07 one winch check flight in DG1000. BFR signed. Instructor's note: one more dual flight before solo DG1000 on winch. (Sadly weather and schedule prevented that)

Probably I'll be back in NZ more permanently in a couple of months, and get a lot more winch experience, as my club has converted entirely from aerotow to winch while I've been in Russia.