Old April 19th 04, 06:53 AM
roger druce

From a non-tug pilot saiplane pilot:

I can see the advantages of a take up reel that retracts the tow rope after
release so it is stowed on board for descent and landing.

However with the tow rope retracted, is there a higher incidence of ground
loops on landing, say due to difficult crosswinds, where the presence of tow
rope drag along the ground would have been useful in stabilising the
aircraft directionally? Perhaps one of the experienced Pawnee tug pilots
out there may have some view on this.

Regards
Roger Druce

"Nyal Williams" wrote in message
om...
This subject has come up once again in our club. You might have
answered this question for me a year ago, but I have lost the info and
I want to quote someone's facts and figures. What is the downside,
other than cost, in using such a device?