Old March 30th 14, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default Another long wave flight 3/29

Jim Payne looks to have landed close to 1912 PDT, which is official sunset for Rosamond, CA. We'll have to wait and see what the official OLC distance is. The SSA Tracking page shows 1440sm which is an overestimate for a number of reasons. Still a very good flight.

Gordon Boettger in the DUO flew about 455sm Minden to Logan, UT. It was a much tougher weather flight which I watched for him as his flight dispatcher from 5am local this morning. The real stopper for his flight was the cloud cover and snow showers he ran into in the Logan Valley. Cloud coverage and bases became too much to "dive" over into Bear Valley. As it was... he flew IMC at several points on his flight (with electronic horizon). It was a good decision to stop at Logan, in my opinion.

Todays flights of JP and DDT demonstrate the remarkable difference in flying zig zags versus free distance. Not to take away anything from JP's flight.... it's just a lot easier to find the path and weather to make those long flights. Finding coherent, safe and fast soaring weather for a free distance downwind is REALLY HARD TO DO.

Just for comparison, Minden to Minneapolis is about 1415sm.

Walt Rogers WX - Met/Flight Dispatcher for N55LK Boettger/Bennett