Old April 6th 04, 05:17 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

Yikes.... really opened a 'wound' out there ;-)

Okay, I've lived in the city of San Francisco, proper, ALL my life. My
father and all my relatives (except for my mother) are from West Virginia.

If you want to address a different type of ignorance or 'stupidity', lookey
here at good ole S.F. where some people think that the only thing that the
poor in Appalachia really need is access to more latte' stands and that
owning a BMW, really IS the way to solving the woes of mankind.

I've certainly had the misfortune of meeting those that give life to the
'redneck' and 'country bumpkin' stereotypes. Those that make you question
if the 'missing link' still exists in our populations. ALL I was attempting
to say, is that when I've been in Kentucky (where my mother ((long
deceased)) was born) or West Virginia, or the sleepier parts of Louisiana,
etc... I've generally met perfect strangers who share a warm good morning
and welcome to you (instead of averting their gaze, afraid to talk to
anyone - like here in the city), open their homes to you once they see you
are a good person. I've eaten with families that have invited me over for
dinner, when, as I saw their circumstance, it was clear that they barely had
enough to keep themselves going. I've seen great generosity come from those
that have little. Indeed, I've found some of the most giving souls in our
country out in the far reaches of rural areas and some of the most selfish
souls here in the cities; conspicuously spending to accumulate goods to the
point of gross excess, but wouldn't share a dime or a smile with you.

BTW, I had to address the post reply about the hooded cross-burners....
Yes, unfortunately those people do exist and in all fairness they probably
exist, but in a more subtle way out here in the city. More sophisticated in
their 'hangings', they block careers, close doors of opportunity - same ugly
prejudice,,, just shows itself in a different way. Once again, though, I
remind myself that those people are such a small part of the population and
not the measure to judge 'the whole', by.

Despite maintaining a healthy amount of cynicism, I truly believe there is
exceptional goodness out there and I must say that I've seen it most from
those that give freely even though they have little themselves.

That's all I was trying to say.....

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote in message
. com...
Ya know the real problem is that idiots, such as the one you mentioned

'fuel
the fires' of the stereotype of the buck-toothed, ignorant country

'bumpkin'
and make a beautiful part of the country (with many people who truly have
hearts of gold and are the very soul of what is good about America) the
brunt of an onslaught of 'hick' jokes. :-(

=-----