Old April 17th 05, 06:09 PM
Bob Gardner

When in doubt, don't! The CU's wouldn't be towering if they did not contain
strong updrafts...and don't forget the strong downdrafts on the outside of
the "tower." I can remember being rolled 60 degrees one day when I decided
to fly close to, but not into, such a cloud. Depending on penetration
altitude versus freezing level, they also contain what I call "splat icing,"
which can coat your airplane with a glossy load in a few seconds...look for
that (or please, don't look for that) in the top one-third of the cloud.

Bottom line: Stay away. Might not be anything in there, but I'm no one to
take chances.

Bob Gardner

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote in message
Thunderstorm season is up us. I get a little concerned when I see
towering cumulus clouds forming in my flight path because I know that
towering cumulus clouds can turn into thunderstorms.

1. Assuming that thunderstorms were not predicted for the area, is my
concern unjustified?

2. Do most towering cumulus clouds not mature into thunderstorms?

3. Wouldn't large towering cumulus clouds have chartacteristics similar to
thunderstorms (severe turbulence, possible hail, heavy rain, icing) even
if they don't end up becoming an official thunderstorm (lightning
present).

Your advice and experiences would be most appreciated.

-Sami, N2057M Piper Turbo Arrow III