Old May 16th 05, 04:08 PM
Gene Whitt

Y'All,
Here are some thoughts that I have not yet posted to my web site.
Would appreciate any additions.
Gene Whitt
Flying in Circles IFR

---Circling approaches are an option to be avoided in times of reduced
visibility

---Circling requires that you have the runway in sight at all times

---You cannot leave the circling MDA unless able to descend to the runway

---You must choose the circle before descending below its MDA

---Circling at night, in low visibility and exposed to disorientation is a
lost poker hand

---The notes restricting just where circling is allowed is usually a clue

---Don't ask for a circling approach where ceilings are not well above
circling minimums

---By keeping your distance from the airport until turning final you avoid 'killer'
bank angles

---Being IFR in VFR conditions at an airport does NOT give you any special
'rights'

---Go missed if you lose visual of the runway