Old May 17th 05, 12:35 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 16 May 2005 13:28:42 -0400, Dave Butler wrote:

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

If you don't have the runway in sight prior to the MDA, you may NOT be able
to make a successful landing using normal maneuvers (a requirement to
operate below the MDA).

I'm sure Gene understands what you are saying, but for my benefit, could you
elaborate a little on this statement? Why is this true?

Thanks.

Dave

I miswrote a bit. In addition to what others have written, what I really
meant to write was that "if you don't have the airport in sight prior to
the MAP (missed approach point) ..."

And the reason for that has to do with geometry. The MAP may be too close
and to allow for normal maneuvers to land. (And using normal maneuvers is
a requirement of 91.175)

Sorry about the confusion.