Old August 2nd 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

Default Ethanol Free Car Gas

"Blueskies" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Jul 25, 9:34 pm, "Mike" wrote:

I believe the EAA sells a sampling cup that detects any alcohols in
fuel. I assume you could use that to verify the claim of any
particular station.

-Robert

Exactly, but all you need is one of those sporty's fuel testers and a
cork. Or you could use a rain gauge, a test tube, or just about any clear
vessel that can be corked (preferably with a lid or a rubber cork). Baby
jars work fine, although I prefer a tall narrow vessel. Just draw a line
an inch off the bottom or so with a permanent marker, fill with water to
the line, add twice as much fuel, cork it, shake the hell out of it,
stand it upright and wait 5 minutes. Any alcohol present will combine
with the water and settle to the bottom. If it exceeds the line you have
alcohol in the fuel.

And the 5 minutes is pretty long. It is amazing how fast it shows up,
results for me are pretty much right now...

You can tell pretty quickly if it does have alcohol, although I've heard you
really need to wait a few minutes if you want to figure out the percentage.
I'm not sure how much difference it makes. Any alcohol is too much as far
as I'm concerned.