Old April 10th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Don Byrer

Default Ethanol nightmare is here now!

????????????????????????????????????

We started seeing those 10% ethanol stickers in the mid 1980's here in
N.E. OH...they're quite prevalent now...

This is NEW in WA?????

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 19:37:58 -0700, Al
wrote:

I just happened to see a sticker on a fuel pump today that stated "may
contain up to 10% ethanol" while I was filling my car this morning.
Upon further investigation with my fuel retailer, the local fuel jobber,
and the fuel distributor here in Spokane, Washington that there is a
federal mandate to add 9 billion gallons of ethanol per year to the
nationwide gasoline fuel stream. A new twist is a 5.1 cent per gallon
federal fuel tax break to the oil companies to get this "alternative"
fuel into the market. Tomorrow (April 8) is the first day of the
program and the dealers get their price tonight. According to my
sources, there is a possibility that some retailers may opt out, however
if that 5.1 cent break is passed on to them, it won't be likely.

I was lucky and just happened to ask the right question at the right
time. I haven't seen an outcry on this issue by EAA, AOPA or any other
aviation group.

This is a nationwide situation. Not just in a few states. You may not
find non-ethanol autogas at your usual outlet. Our jobber started
mixing in ethanol last week, however I had not purchased any since
mid-March so was unaware.

In essence, with the 5.1 cent per gallon tax break, the US federal
government has just killed the Aviation autogas concept.

I'm trying to locate a new source, but may not be successful. The
ethanol is added at the distribution rack. Chevron and a couple others
are requiring their retailers to go to E-10.

Al Gilson

Don Byrer KJ5KB
Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy
Glider & CFI wannabe
kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..."
"Watch out for those doves...smack-smack-smack-smack..."